- This event has passed.
Microsoft Excel Advanced
April 11 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Microsoft Excel Advanced (This course will be taught using the Excel 2010 Software Version class materials)
Microsoft Excel Advanced Course Summary
Clearly, you use Excel a lot in your role. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be taking this course. By now, you’re already familiar with Excel, its functions and formulas, a lot of its features and functionality, and its powerful data analysis tools. You are likely called upon to analyze and report on data frequently, work in collaboration with others to deliver actionable organizational intelligence, and keep and maintain workbooks for all manner of purposes. At this level of use and collaboration, you have also likely encountered your fair share of issues and challenges. You’re too busy, though, to waste time scouring over workbooks to resolve issues or to perform repetitive, monotonous tasks. You need to know how to get Excel to do more for you so you can focus on what’s really important: staying ahead of the competition. That’s exactly what this course aims to help you do.
This course builds off of the fundamental and intermediate knowledge presented in the Microsoft® Office Excel® Part 1 (Second Edition) and Part 2 (Second Edition) courses to help you get the most of your Excel experience. The ability to collaborate with colleagues, automate complex or repetitive tasks, and use conditional logic to construct and apply elaborate formulas and functions will put the full power of Excel right at your fingertips. The more you learn about how to get Excel to do the hard work for you, the more you’ll be able to focus on getting the answers you need from the vast amounts of data your organization generates.
This course covers Microsoft Office Specialist exam objectives to help students prepare for the Excel Exam and the Excel Expert Exam.
**Course outline may vary slightly depending on software version (ie. 2010, 2013, 2016 etc).**
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to perform advanced data analysis, collaborate on workbooks with other users, and automate workbook functionality.
- Work with multiple worksheets and workbooks simultaneously.
- Share and protect workbooks.
- Automate workbook functionality.
- Apply conditional logic.
- Audit worksheets.
- Use automated analysis tools.
- Present your data visually.
This course is intended for students who are experienced Excel users and have a desire or need to advance their skills in working with some of the more advanced Excel features. Students will likely need to troubleshoot large, complex workbooks, automate repetitive tasks, engage in collaborative partnerships involving workbook data, construct complex Excel functions, and use those functions to perform rigorous analysis of extensive, complex datasets.
To ensure success, students should have practical, real-world experience creating and analyzing datasets using Excel. Specific tasks students should be able to perform include: creating formulas and using Excel functions; creating, sorting, and filtering datasets and tables; presenting data by using basic charts; creating and working with PivotTables, slicers, and PivotCharts; and customizing the Excel environment. To meet these prerequisites, students can take the following Logical Operations courses, or should possess the equivalent skill level:
- Microsoft® Office Excel®: Part 1 (Second Edition)
- Microsoft® Office Excel®: Part 2 (Second Edition)
Course-specific Technical Requirements
For this course, you will need one workstation for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configurations:
- 1 GHz or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
- 2 GB RAM
- 3 GB available hard disk space
- DirectX10 graphics card and a 1,024 x 576 or higher resolution monitor (1,024 × 768 resolution or higher monitor recommended)
- CD-ROM drive (if installing any software from a CD-ROM)
- Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- Printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor’s computer screen
- Microsoft® Office Excel® Professional Plus
- Microsoft Office Service Pack 1 or latest update (32-bit update or 64-bit update depending on your system)
- Microsoft® Windows® 8 or 8.1 Professional
- Latest Microsoft Windows 8 or 8.1 Service Pack (if available)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, or 11; Mozilla Firefox 10.x or later, or Google Chrome 17.x
- .NET Framework version 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5
- Microsoft® Silverlight® 5.0 plug-in
- If necessary, software for viewing the course slides (instructor machine only)
Lesson 1: Working with Multiple Worksheets and Workbooks Simultaneously
Topic A: Use 3-D References
Topic B: Use Links and External References
Topic C: Consolidate Data
Lesson 2: Sharing and Protecting Workbooks
Topic A: Collaborate on a Workbook
Topic B: Protect Worksheets and Workbooks
Lesson 3: Automating Workbook Functionality
Topic A: Apply Data Validation
Topic B: Work with Forms and Controls
Topic C: Work with Macros
Lesson 4: Applying Conditional Logic
Topic A: Use Lookup Functions
Topic B: Combine Functions
Topic C: Use Formulas and Functions to Apply Conditional Formatting
Lesson 5: Auditing Worksheets
Topic A: Trace Cells
Topic B: Search for Invalid Data and Formulas with Errors
Topic C: Watch and Evaluate Formulas
Lesson 6: Using Automated Analysis Tools
Topic A: Determine Potential Outcomes Using Data Tables
Topic B: Determine Potential Outcomes Using Scenarios
Topic C: Use the Goal Seek Feature
Topic D: Activate and Use the Solver Tool
Topic E: Analyze Data with Analysis ToolPak Tools
Lesson 7: Presenting Your Data Visually
Topic A: Use Advanced Chart Features
Topic B: Create Sparklines
Appendix A: Microsoft Office Excel Exam 77-420
Appendix B: Microsoft Office Excel Expert Exams 77–427 and 77-428
Appendix C: Cube Functions
Appendix D: Import and Export Data
Appendix E: Internationalize Workbooks
Appendix F: Work with PowerPivot